Recipe by Garden Gate Kate
My grandma never cooked from recipes or even owned a cookbook. This is the one and only written recipe that anyone ever knew her to use, and it is delicious. Southern ladies know their coleslaw.
Top Review by Susie D
The use of pickle juice & relish caught my eye so I decided to try the recipe. It was a nice slaw with a creamy, sweet, and tart dressing. I would serve this again with BBQ as I think the flavors would be nice together. Next time I will increase the amount of carrots for more color. Thank you for sharing the recipe! Made for Spring 2013 Pick A Chef.
- 1 medium head cabbage, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 1 carrot, minced (or grated)
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, finely minced
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle juice
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dill pickles, minced or 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients in large bowl. Chill till ready to serve. Serves 10-12.
- Note: I slightly change the amounts of ingredients for my personal preference and a tarter flavor. I use ½ medium sweet Vidalia onion instead of 1 medium onion and ¼ cup apple cider vinegar instead of ¼ cup white vinegar. Also, I increase other ingredients as follows: 2 carrots, ½ teaspoon black pepper, ¾ cup sweet pickle juice, 1 ½ cups of full fat mayonnaise. I strongly recommend using only full fat mayonnaise and not light mayonnaise because the acid in the pickle juice and vinegar break down the light mayonnaise into a watery consistency which is not desirable.