Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A perfect recipe for the slow cooker/crockpot. For fullest flavor, do not peel the vegetables (all solids will be strained out, anyway). From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
- 4 lbs beef, cubed
- 1 veal knuckle or 1 soup bone
- 2 turnips, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 bunch soup greens (celery, parsnip, turnip, dill, leek, and parsley)
- 1 dried red pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 6 quarts water
- Combine all ingredients and simmer for 6 hours.
- Strain through a fine sieve; let stand in the refrigerator overnight.
- Skim off all the fat.
- Heat before serving.