Recipe by Jane Snar
A Korean-Americanified dish which means, "mixed rice," that usually has 4-5 vegetables such as carrots, zucchini, spinach, bean sprouts and is topped with bbq beef and a fried egg. Can be cooked in a cast iron or hot stone pot or bowl.
- 1⁄2 lb thin strips rib eye or 1⁄2 lb sirloin or 1⁄2 lb precut bulbogi beef
- 1 cup korean bbq bulgogi marinade
- 2 teaspoons roasted sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup sesame oil
- 2 -4 eggs
- 1 -2 cup bean sprouts
- 3⁄4 cup julienned zucchini
- 3⁄4 cup julienned carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sauteed green onion
- 2 cups fresh Baby Spinach
- 1⁄4 cup kochujang vinegared hot pepper paste
- 8 -16 ounces cabbage kimchi (cabbage pickled in hot pepper)
- 3 cups high grade sushi rice (Korean)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh shiitake mushroom, sliced thinly
- 3⁄4 cup marinaded firm tofu
Directions See How It's Made
- To make life easier, try to find a good Asian grocery store for many of these ingredients. The stone pot is expensive but worth it to 'crisp the rice'.
- And as a side note - I'm just a German-American girl trying to cook for my Korean boyfriend - I am a total substitution junkie as I do not eat red meat or pork. I also use free range, low cholesterol eggs for this recipe to do my arteries a favor.
- Marinade beef and/or tofu overnight in bulgogi or Korean bbq marinade. Make tiny cubes of the tofu if you go that route before marinading. Don't forget to rinse thoroughly to get the mystery liquid off your packaged tofu.
- Make rice in a rice cooker for best results. Rinse rice thoroughly & drain. Add equal parts rice and water and about 1 teaspoon of salt. Keep warm when done.
- Sauté all vegetables in any order but separately. Add very small amount of sesame oil, a pinch of sugar and a tiny bit of minced garlic to your taste to sauté. You might want to cook 2 vegetables in only salt -like the carrots and onion, as they tend to pick up too much sesame flavor in my opinion. Try not to overcook the vegetables as you will be slightly cooking them more in the stone bowl.
- Boil bean sprouts until they smell cooked and slightly soften - 5 minutes maybe. Rinse in cold water.
- Broil or bbq your beef.
- Heat stone or cast iron bowl and add rice in the bottom and place meat or tofu and vegetables around in a circle side by side.
- Add whole egg on top. Mix with two spoons to cook egg. Slightly cook more to crisp rice.
- Add sesame seeds as a garnish and for taste and texture.
- Add kochujang sauce to your taste and mix. Add kimchi as a side - I mix it altogether for a hot/cold contrast.
- Serve while it's still sizzling. This whole process takes practice so don't despair! It's worth the effort. I think this recipe is highly customizable to your individual tastes with so many vegetables (add more or less of your favorites).