Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made these for my little poodle who turns his nose up to just about everything but not these, he just loved them! just make certain that the containers are labeled doggie treats, these smell so good that someone might be tempted to eat one lol! It is also a great way to use up any leftover ripe bananas --- the brown sugar is only optional I like to add it in! :)
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare a NON-stick baking/cookie sheet.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour and the baking soda.
- Add in the egg, oil, pureed banana and the maple flavoring; stir until lumpy.
- Add in water 1 tsp at a time as needed, to make a workable dough.
- Knead the dough by hand on a flat surface until mixed thoroughly.
- Form into 2 logs.
- Flatten so that the logs are 6-7-inches wide BY 1-ich high.
- With a pastry brush cover the logs on both sides with egg wash; then roll in the oats.
- Place on a non-stick (ungreased) baking/cookie sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven; let cool 10 minutes.
- Slice the biscotti in 1/2- 3/4-inch (or whatever width size you desire).
- Place the slices back on the baking sheets.
- Bake for another 20 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- When completely cool, store in zipper storage bags, or an air-tight container.
I don't have any dogs myself, but I made these for my neighbour's 14 year old black Lab as a treat. He LOVED it! I didn't have enough wholemeal flour, so I used 1 cup plain flour, 1 cup oats and 3 cups wholemeal flour and I skipped the egg wash. Since he's diabetic, I left out the brown sugar and maple extract, added in a pinch of cinnamon instead (I made sure it was safe to use). Had a wonderful smell while baking! Thank you, Kittencal, for sharing yet another one of your wonderful recipes, I have already passed on the recipe to my neighbour. And, a BIG thank you from Blacky! :)
I made these as a Christmas treat for my dog and my parents dog (my childhood dog) and they both loved them. I did make them without the sugar and the egg wash. Thanks for a fun and easy treat. It was so nice to not have to cut the treats out with a cookie cutter!
it should be noted that sugar is extremely bad for dogs and causes them to go blind later in life! just thought i should warn everyone if you're intrested in the health of your dog.