Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a great recipe for those canine friends and familly members to help celebrate a special occassion such as a birthday, Thanksgiving, Halloween, and any other holiday. It has only human-grade ingredients and is safe for people as well (it's not all that bad really).
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup honey (optional)
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (preferred) or 1 cup white flour (alternate)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease a 6 cup ring mold.
- Combine the egg, peanut butter, oil, vanilla, and honey, if desired, in a large bowl; blend well.
- Stir in the carrots and mix thoroughly.
- Sift together the flour and baking soda and fold into the carrot mixture.
- Spoon cake batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes; then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Our dog, Boomer, turned 11 so we wanted to make him a cake. I chose this recipe because it had easily available ingredients that I didn't mind cooking with my dishes - no dogfood in my muffin tins thanks! They turned out great! I did make them muffin sized but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Boomer LOVED them! It is amazing how he seemed to know we made them just for him! We called them his birthday "pupcakes". Thanks for the great recipe!
I put a bit more carrots and made this cake into cupcakes - iced each cupcake with cottage cheese mixed with yogourt and a mini Milkbone dog cookie on top. My four dogs truly enjoyed the party! ;-)
This was great that all ingredients were in the cupboard. I did add 1/2 cup of apple sauce too along with an extra 1/2 cup of flour since I know my dog loves apple sauce.