Recipe by Jan in Lanark
Whenever I have the time I much prefer to make these over store bought- dogs love them!
Top Review by Connie Lea
Great recipe. As suggested by Pismo, I mixed in food processor - so easy. Also, like Mommyoftwolittleones, I added a couple tablespoons of wet dog food. Then I spread on a cookie sheet - didn't quite fill the cookie sheet. I baked for 10 minutes, cut with a pizza cutter into small squares. Baked another 15 minutes, broke up and then baked another four hours at 250 degrees as I wanted them very crunchy. My three litle dogs loved them - everytime I opened the oven door, they were right there begging for a treat. Thanks for a great recipe.
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup hard margarine or 1⁄3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, salt and sugar together with fork.
- Cut margarine into flour and using your fingers, work in margarine until mixture forms clumps.
- Make a large well in centre of mixture.
- In another bowl whisk egg with a fork, add skim milk and peanut butter and whisk until peanut butter has streaks running through it.
- Pour into well in flour mixture and work together with a fork.
- Using your hands, knead mixture until evenly moist- about 2-3 minutes.
- Roll into ball and place on floured surface.
- Roll dough to about 1/2 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutter or cut into squares according to the size you would like.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until golden brown. I sometimes leave them in the oven after it's turned off to make them crispier.
- Remove to racks to cool.
- Store in container in cool place or frig for 2 weeks, or freeze.