Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
If your dog is listless, has an unset stomach and/or vomiting, this is what my veterinarian suggested I feed my dogs. It works every time. Even if they won't eat anything else, they will usually eat some of this food and it is easy on their tummies. I have passed this along to a lot of my friends and it has always worked on their dogs too. Time does not include time for cooking rice. If you like, you can purchase a quart of white rice at a Chinese carryout. As you can see from the nutritional information, this recipe is low in fat AND sodium.
Top Review by Goob's_Mom
When feeding pets people food, you really have to watch the sodium content. Most canned foods are very high in sodium. A better choice would be cooked brown rice and fresh ground cooked chicken or beef, lamb etc. You can make a really big batch and freeze it in freezer bags in the amount you dog needs. Fresh is always best.
- 1 (8 ounce) white chicken meat packed in water, don't drain
- 3 cups cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the canned chicken with the cooked rice. Feed the dog 1/4 cup for small dogs, 1/2 a cup for medium size dogs and 1 cup for large dogs. If they keep the food down and are hungry for more, you can feed them an addition 1/4, 1/2 or 1 cup.
- The size of the canned chicken is an estimate. I always buy the large can and not the smaller one.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Reheat slightly to take the chill off when feeding leftovers.
- After a one or two days on this diet, your dog should be feeling better. If they are still sick and listless, or don't want to eat this food, take to your veterinarian.