1/2 Photos of Dog Food - Beef
2 hrs 30 mins
Kim A. Heaphy's Note:
In 2010, I lost my feline companion to kidney failure due to tainted pet food. We had fought the kidney damage for years but lost the battle in September 2010. Since then I have been more proactive in making pet food for my four-legged companions. My two small mutts are some of the most finicky eaters I have met. I have tried the crockpot recipies with no success and have experimented with various other options to find something that is acceptable to my personal review board. Those recipes that fail their taste test go to a friend's two dogs that are far less finicky. This is one of the favourite recipes to date. When I can, I use free range beef free of antibiotics, organic vegetables and organic brown rice. Sometimes the budget doesn't afford such luxuries so I resort to normal human grade food and if you watch your grocery store flyers, you can get some good deals on meat and fresh produce!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Roast beef until medium-rare (about 170'F on a meat thermometer). Dice into smaller than bite size pieces (varies depending on the size of the dog).
- 2Pan fry liver until medium-rare or just a hint of pink is seen when you cut through the the center.
- 3Dice vegetables into 1/2 inch (1 cm) cubes and blanch for one minute.
- 4Place brown rice into a large pot of boiling water and cook for 25 minutes for most brown rice and 50 minutes for the organic brown rice (or according to package direction). I cook it like pasta, in lots of water and then strain to keep it fluffy and stop it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- 5Mix all ingredients together.
- 6Place into containers and freeze.
- 7**NOTE: Vegetables can consist of most high-nutrient options such as fresh or frozen sweet potato, wax beans, peas, pumpkin, spinach, carrots, squash, zucchini, etc.
- 8** Please be careful of those items toxic to dogs such as onions and garlic.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dog Food - Beef
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 42
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.6
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 140.4 mg
- Sodium 94.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 20.2 g