Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Nothing ever goes to waste in an African household. Old whiskey bottles become containers for ice water, toasted peanuts and overripe vegetables are turned into fritters. And in Nigeria, overripe plantains become Dodo-Ikire. From Iron Pots and Wooden Spoons.
- Heat the oil until hot but not smoking (about 350ºF).
- Cut the plantains into coarse dice.
- Mix in the cayenne and salt and form into small balls.
- Flatten the balls slightly and place them in the hot oil.
- Lower the heat slightly and cook the plantain balls until they are browned.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm.