Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Gefilte fish is a strange creature. You either love it or HATE it. I love it, the rest of my family despises it. This is Peter Pan's mother's recipe, one of the rare things that she cooked well.
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced with skin left on
- 2 stalks celery, cut in 1/4
- 2 carrots, cut in chunks
- 1⁄2 gallon gefilte fish, in liquid not in jelly
- 16 ounces gefilte fish, liquid
- ground paprika
- In a large dutch oven, (I use my pasta pot) place gefilte fish, sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover with vegetables.
- Add reserved liquid.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Uncover and cook for 1/2 hour.
- Put in refrigerator with all the liquid (it should jelly) Serve cold with red beet horseradish.
Hi Renee, this was truly delicious! I love gefilte fish & this knocked up a few bars! It makes it look so pretty and with the beet horseradish - it was a great hit. There was some leftover so we are having it again for lunch. Thanks for a great recipe, Diane :)