Recipe by mandabears
Gefilte fish is a strange creature. You either love it or HATE it. I love it, the rest of my family despises it. This is Peter Pan's mother's recipe, one of the rare things that she cooked well.
Top Review by Manami
Hi Renee, this was truly delicious! I love gefilte fish & this knocked up a few bars! It makes it look so pretty and with the beet horseradish - it was a great hit. There was some leftover so we are having it again for lunch. Thanks for a great recipe, Diane :)
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced with skin left on
- 2 stalks celery, cut in 1/4
- 2 carrots, cut in chunks
- 1⁄2 gallon gefilte fish, in liquid not in jelly
- 16 ounces gefilte fish, liquid
- ground paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large dutch oven, (I use my pasta pot) place gefilte fish, sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover with vegetables.
- Add reserved liquid.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Uncover and cook for 1/2 hour.
- Put in refrigerator with all the liquid (it should jelly) Serve cold with red beet horseradish.