1/2 Photos of Dobosh Torte
This is a Hungarian cake which I have put together and added a twist. This recipe makes quite a big one, look at pictures to see the size, you can halve quantities. The time and serving are rough ideas as i am a slow cook and the slice depends on how big you want it, remember its quite tall.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 400 ml whipping cream
- 3 strawberries, to taste
- chocolate, to taste (50g)
- instant coffee granules or fresh ground coffee, to taste
I did not have enough to cover the sides completely so I have added more
- 1Firstly you have to make the sponge, once the batter is made it takes a while to bake each layer so keep your tv on. I did not know how much i would need so i made it in two batches, it would be easier with these quantities.
- 2Preheat the oven to 190'C/ 375'F/ gas mark 5.
- 3Cream together your butter and sugar by hand first, until it is combined, then by an electric whisk. Slowly mix in the eggs, one by one.
- 4Fold in the flour.
- 5Grease a spring open tin. You don't need to do the sides.
- 6Smooth a thin layer with a spatula. I does not have to be smooth as it will even once in the oven.
- 7Put the side of the tin back on, and put it in the oven. It takes roughly 10-20 minute Keep an eye on the first one so you know how long it takes. It should be slightly golden brown.
- 8Repeat steps 4- 6, 6 more times so you have 7 layers.
- 9This is the filling. Traditionally it is only chocolate but you can experiment with different flavours. The ones i have used have worked well together.
- 10Prepare your flavours in each bowl.
- 11Mash your strawberries in one bowl.
- 12In a mug dissolve your coffee in hot water, then leave it to cool (the freezer helps speed it up).
- 13Melt your chocolate. Do not do it in the microwave, do it over a pan of hot water, mine went wrong when i did it in the microwave,.
- 14Whip all the cream until it is thick.
- 15Divide it equally into each bowl.
- 16Fold it in well.
- 17Arrange your bottom sponge layer on a plate, use the thickest one.
- 18Spread your chosen filling.
- 19Put another sponge layer on that.
- 20Repeat until finished.
- 21Tips- don't whip the chocolate one once the chocolate is in, mine went all wrong because it shrunk and water came out. Also, don't put the ground coffee straight into the cream, the taste and texture are not nice.
- 23Melt the chocolate over a pan.
- 24Add the sugar and butter while it is still on.
- 25Wait for the chocolate to cool (freezer speeds things up but make sure it doesn't harden).
- 26Carefully fold in the whipped cream.
- 27Cover your cake with it.
- 28You can add any decorations you want, mine is for a 50th birthday.
- 29Put it in the fridge to harden chocolate and cool the cake until you want to use it.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dobosh Torte
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 707.1
- Calories from Fat 431
- Total Fat 47.9 g
- Saturated Fat 28.9 g
- Cholesterol 217.4 mg
- Sodium 223.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 32.3 g
- Protein 10.9 g