Prep 0 mins
Cook 12 mins
My mom makes this every Christmas. It's a tradition in our house and now much requested by friends. So since it's in demand by just about everyone we know, she makes 3-4 a year and gives them as gifts. Mom though makes 7 single layer (on the outside bottom of a circular cookie sheet) as a child I was always amazed by this! But this recipe makes 1 cake that is cut into layers. Much easier. NOTES: You must read through the entire directions and have everything set in the final stages of putting it together. It seems like alot of work because of long directions but it's not complicated. I just talk alot and have a need to explain everything. Cook and prep time does not include refrigeration time of 3-4 hours. Also you see sugar twice in the ing - this is not a mistake you will need these diff measurments.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 6 ounces butter
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 egg
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Whip the egg whites with 1 tablespoon ice water and a pinch of salt until stiff.
- Add the yolk, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each egg.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, spoon by spoon, whipping all the time.
- Add flour, little by little making sure that is is completely blended into the egg mix.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and lightly spread it with 1 tablespoon butter or (spread the butter directly onto cookies sheet and dust with flour making sure to shake off excess).Pour the batter on the baking sheet. Tap sides few times to even out.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and while still warm, cut the cake into 6 even pieces about 8 x 4 inches. Pull of the wax paper (if using). Cover the pieces with paper towel while cooling - this will help it retain some moisture and stay soft. Make chocolate filling. Recipe to follow:.
- CHOCOLATE FILLING:.
- Mix vanilla extract, sugar and butter. Add instant espresso to water and combine then add to sugar mix along with the egg and beat into a creamy mixture.
- Soften the chocolate in double boiler over hot water and mix into the filling.
- Cool the filling in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before using.
- PUTTING THIS ALL TOGETHER:.
- Set aside the best piece of the 6 pieces of cake for the top of the cake. For now you'll be working with 5 pieces.Spread alittle butter on a big enough piece of wax paper and place this best piece directly on it and set aside for now.
- Now, take one layer and place it on a serving dish and spread about 4 tblsp filling (eyeball your filling it should be about 1/8 of an inch thick for all layer) and put the next layer on top and continue to fifth one. DO NOT USE YOUR "BEST" PIECE YET. Frost the sides of your cake. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE LEFT OVER FROSTING.
- Melt the 1/3 cup sugar in a heavy sauce pan on low heat and watch it very carefully: stir it constantly with a buttered spoon (just coat the spoon in butter) as it cooks. The sugar will look like dirty snow (yeah really) but the sugar will dissolve and look like shiny walnut color.
- Immediately remove it from the heat and spoon it directly from the pan to the top of the "Best" layer that you set on the buttered wax paper earlier. This caramel layer should cover the entire piece (use it all up) Score it to intended portion sizes with a well buttered knife. Then cut it all the way through with the buttered knife. YOU MUST WORK FAST because the caramel hardens in less than a minute. Be careful the sugar is very hot and can burn your fingers.
- When the caramel is cool, put the top layer on top of the filled layers. the shiny glaze is the crown jewel of this wonderful cake.
- The left over filling is placed in a pastry bag fitted with No. 6 nozzle and pipe a decorative border of filling around the top edge of cake.
- Cool the cake in the refrigerator until the filling is firm 3 - 4 hours. Slice the cake with a knife dipped into HOT water. Cake will keep as long a 10 - 12 days. SO IS A GREAT MAKE AHEAD CAKE.
- When you walk into the room and place your masterpiece onto the table. Be humble and accept the applause and appraises of your guests and TAKE A BOW!
I just finished making this and it is a great recipe. The caramel part is the trickiest but otherwise it is not much of a fuss to make with and electic mixer. I used my own chocolate cream recipe from my family in Romania but I will try to make it with your filling as well. Great job!!