The famous seven-layer cake that serves as the inspiration for Louisiana's doberge cakes. From the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Setting time not included in preparation time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F and line 8" layer cake pans with waxed paper; butter the waxed paper.
- 2Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- 3Add sugar gradually, beating constantly.
- 4Sift flour and salt together three times; fold into yolk mixture.
- 5Beat egg whites stiff enough to form soft peaks and fold into batter.
- 6Place 1/7 of the batter into each pan; bake for 12 minutes.
- 7Remove from pans at once and gently peel waxed paper away.
- 8To make the filling: heat chocolate and water in a double boiler.
- 9Mix eggs and sugar thoroughly, combine with melted chocolate and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- 10Remove from heat; add butter and beat until well blended.
- 11Add vanilla and continue beating until filling is stiff enough to spread.
- 12Cover each layer and top and sides of cake with filling (it may be necessary to secure the layers with bamboo skewers or toothpicks to hold them in place until the filling sets).
- 13Serve after 24 hours.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dobos Torte
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.1
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 185.9 mg
- Sodium 187.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 38.4 g
- Protein 6.0 g