Recipe by Chef bethany W
Peppermint filling with powdered sugar, chocolate cookie crumbs or mint candies Espresso filling with cinnamon–sugar, amaretti or cocoa powder-salt mixture Rum filling with coconut, candied ginger or toffee Cardamom filling with cinnamon–sugar, amaretti or candied ginger Plain chocolate filling with raspberry, malt balls or peanuts
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 3 lbs chopped semisweet chocolate or 3 lbs bittersweet chocolate
- 3⁄4 cup chopped unsalted butter
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- MAKE THE GANACHE.
- In a saucepan, bring 1 quart heavy cream to a simmer. In a large bowl, combine 3 pounds chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, 1 1/2 sticks chopped unsalted butter and a pinch of salt. Pour the hot cream on top. Let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth.
- FLAVOR THE GANACHE.
- Divide the ganache into 4 bowls. For each quarter batch, stir in either 1 1/2 tablespoons dark rum, 4 teaspoons pure peppermint oil and 1 teaspoon ground cardamom or 2 teaspoons instant espresso dissolved in 2 teaspoons water. Cover and refrigerate until firm, 3 hours.
- ROLL THE TRUFFLES.
- Using a small scoop, drop tablespoons of the ganache onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Using cold, wet hands, roll the ganache into balls. Coat the truffles in crushed mint candies, chopped almonds, toasted coconut flakes or cocoa powder.