Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
It's gooey, slippery, sticky, really slimy and kids love it! Make up a batch of SLIME and you'll be the hit of any party. From the Mad Scientist 1995 Girl Scout Day Camp.
- Making The Borax Water: Borax is a type of powder soap that is available in most grocery stores.
- Add 1 tablespoon Borax powder to 1 cup of water.
- Stir until most of the powder dissolves.
- Store the Borax Water in a jar or bottle, and label the container"BORAX& WATER MIXTURE".
- Remember that one cup of Borax Water will make many batches of"SLIME".
- Preparing The Guar Gum (available at health food stores): Measure 4 cups (approximately 1 litre) of warm water into a large mixing bowl.
- Add 10 drops of food colouring- possibly green!
- SLOWLY (very slowly) stir in 2 teaspoons of guar gum.
- This fine powder has a tendency to clump up if it is not stirred into the water slowly.
- After thoroughly mixing, pour the guar gum mixture into a soda bottle and label it appropriately.
- Making Slime: Pour 1/2 cup of the guar gum mixture into a clean zipper-lock bag.
- Add 1 teaspoon of the Borax Water mixture that you made previously.
- Seal the bag and shake.
- Within seconds you'll have prepared your very own batch of SLIME!
- This gooey mixture will retain its slimy properties for 1-2 days before finally turning into a watery mess.
- When the SLIME is no longer good, seal it in the zipper-lock bag and throw it away.
- Do not pour it down the drain.
- SAFETY PRECAUTIONS WITH CHEMICALS: Although these substances are not considered hazardous, you should treat all chemicals with care and wash your hands after handling.
- Do not taste or eat any of the materials described in these activities.
- Do not pour any of these experiments down the sink.
- Clean up any spill immediately.
My younger brother loved this 'slime'.