Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is a great recipe from the freezer to the oven to the table! May be kept in the freezer for several weeks. Great for that special brunch where you have a hundred things to do at once.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 6 eggs, separated
- Melt butter and blend in flour, salt, & pepper.
- Add milk stirring constantly (medium-high heat) until the mixture bubbles and thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted.
- In a bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl beat egg yolks until thickened and lemon colored (about 5 minutes).
- Stir cheese mixture slowly into the egg yolks.
- Gradually pour yolk mixture over the stiff egg whites and gently fold together.
- Pour mixture into ten custard cups or souffle cups (I use the large muffin tins) Cover the souffles with tin foil.
- If using individual cups place all of them in one or two baking pans and place in your freezer.
- Freeze souffles until 1 1/4 hours before serving time.
- Before removing souffles from freezer preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Remove souffles from freezer and pour very hot water into the baking pan around the souffles to about 1/2" deep.
- Bake the frozen souffles 1 hour 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove and serve immediately.