1/1 Photo of Do-Ahead Stuffed Shells
1 hr 15 mins
A delicious dish you complete in advance, freeze, then serve when time is limitied (like during the hectic holiday season). You can substitute 1 T. minced fresh herbs for each t. dried herbs required. Serve with a nice Chianti.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/3 ounce) package dried porcini mushrooms
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 3 (16 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, drained, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 (12 ounce) package jumbo pasta shells
- 2 (15 ounce) containers whole milk ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces prosciutto, minced
- 3 medium shallots, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives or 2 tablespoons scallions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus additional
- parmesan cheese, to taste
- 1If serving immediately, heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Make Tomato Sauce: Soak mushrooms in the warm warm until softened, 30 minutes. Drain and reserve liquid. Finely chop mushrooms.
- 3Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium-low heat; add onion and garlic and saute, stirring occasionally, until soft, 10 minutes. Add wine and cook until almost evaporated. Stir in tomatoes, mushrooms and the reserved soaking liquid, salt, and pepper and cook over medium heat 10 minutes. Chop parsley with basil; add to sauce and simmer 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- 4Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, 10-12 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 5Mix remaining ingredients except Parmesan in medium bowl, then stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan until blended.
- 6Using soup spoon, stuff pasta shells with cheese mixture.
- 7Place half the tomato sauce in casserole large enough to hold shells in single layer, or divide sauce among 2 or 3 smaller casseorles. Place shells over tomato sauce, then spoon remaining sauce over shells.
- 8Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan over shells. Cover and bake until heated through, 12-15 minutes. Serve with additional Parmesan.
- 9Or, let unbaked sauced shells cool to room temperature, cover tightly, and freeze up to 2 months. To serve, thaw covered in refrigerator, then bake as directed and serve with addtiional grated Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Pasta Shells Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta Shells Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Do-Ahead Stuffed Shells
Serving Size: 1 (539 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 650.1
- Calories from Fat 275
- Total Fat 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 141.6 mg
- Sodium 973.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 31.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: