Prep 5 hrs
Cook 1 min
Plan ahead this needs to sit in the fridge for 4 hours and up to 24 hours. Preparation time includes fridge time. This is also good using turkey.
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced leeks (about 2 pounds)
- 1 lb French bread, sliced into 1/2 inch sliced
- 2 cups cooked chicken or 2 cups cooked turkey, diced or chopped
- 2 teaspoons dry dill weed or 2 tablespoons fresh dill weed
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or more if desired)
- 4 -6 slices cooked bacon, chopped (optional)
- 3 -4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups whole milk or 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Prepare a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, over medium heat.
- Cook the leeks in butter about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened; remove from heat.
- Line the bottom of the baking dish with half of the bread slices.
- Sprinkle with cooked chicken and the dillweed; top with the cooked leeks.
- Sprinkle 2 cups of cheese over the leeks.
- Sprinkle the cooked bacon over the cheese.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmeasn cheese over the bacon.
- Top with the remaining bread slices; sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese.
- In a bowl, mix together the 8 beaten eggs, 4 cups milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the bread and cheese in the baking dish.
- Cover tighty with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 4 hours, but no longer than 24 hours.
- When ready to bake, remove from the fridge and uncover, let sit out at room temperature 1-1/4 hours before baking.
- Set the oven to 325 degrees.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in the middle, comes out clean.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving-- delicious!