Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This is another do it ahead casserole, makes life so easy! The water chestnuts give a nice crunch and the casserole has a smooth gentle taste. Hope you enjoy it.
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 9 slices bread (White or whole wheat, thick slices)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos or 2 ounces sweet red peppers, cut in small strips
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (lite is OK)
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups milk
- buttered breadcrumbs
- Lightly butter a 9x13-inch oven proof dish.
- Cut crusts off the bread and save.
- Place bread slices in a single layer in the bottom of the dish.
- Put chicken on top.
- Sauté mushrooms in 2 tbsp butter and then put mushrooms on top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle water chestnuts and pimentos on top of the mushrooms.
- Dot with mayo and top with cheese.
- Melt two tbsp butter in skillet, stir in flour until smooth.
- Whisk in 2 cups broth, bring to a boil, whisking constantly until thickened, set aside.
- Whisk milk and eggs together and pour over the cheese.
- Spoon chicken broth sauce over the casserole.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bring to room temperature and sprinkle with buttered crumbs (see below).
- Bake in 350°F uncovered for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Buttered crumbs:.
- Crumble the crusts of the bread in crumbs.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter add crumbs and toast for 10-15 minutes .
- The crumbs can be made ahead and stored in a jar in the fridge.
- Do not add crumbs to casserole until just before baking.