1/1 Photo of Dks Buttermilk Biscuits
This is the best biscuit recipe I've ever made. My family loves these. I have frequently substituted 1 Tbsp vinergar and 1 cup milk for the buttermilk with perfect results. The only other change I make is to cut them into 12 square biscuits rather than cut them with a biscuit cutter. It's quicker and saves re-rolling the dough (which makes it tough). This recipe if from my very favorite cookbook "Texas Home Cooking". Posted here for safekeeping.
My Private Note
2" bisc ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Position the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven t oo 450* F. Grease a baking sheet.
- 2Sift together the dry ingredients into a large bowl. With a pastry blender or large fork blend in the shortening until a coarse meal forms. Pour in the buttermilk, and stir together the wet and dry ingredients just until a sticky dough forms.
- 3Flour your hands and a pastry board or the counter. Turn the dough out and knead it gently ONLY four to six times. Pat the dough until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Cut it with a 2- or 3- inch-round biscuit cutter.
- 4Transfer the biscuits to the baking sheet, arranging them so that they just touch each other. Bake about 10 minutes, or until they are raised and golden brown. (At the halfway point, turn the baking sheet from front to back to ensure even browning.).
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dks Buttermilk Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (654 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.5
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.8 mg
- Sodium 231.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 3.3 g