1/1 Photo of Dj's "true" Salt Rising Bread
12 hrs 30 mins
Dj's Eagles's Note:
A special thank you to Susan Ray Brown, and her Salt Rising Bread Project! After several e-mails back and forth, and her encouragement, and several blunders on my part, (which Susan helped to correct), I have found the perfect recipe for "true" S.R.B! It takes time and patience, but well worth it! Take time to check out Susan's Website! It is full of excellent information! Help to keep this tradition alive! Susan R. Brown, Salt Rising Bread, The Project. Plus, if you have never eaten this bread, you are in for a very special treat!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour milk onto dry ingredients and stir.
- 2Keep warm overnight until foamy. I place it in a yogurt maker which will maintain a constant temperature. You must get the foamy and smelly "rotten cheese" smell or it will not work! This is called a "raisin".
- 3After "raisin" has foamed and has the smell, in a medium sized bowl, add 2 cups of warm water to the mixture. Then add enough flour, (about 1 1/2 cups) to make a thin pancake like batter. Stir and let rise again until it becomes foamy. This will usually take from 2 to 3 hours.
- 4Next, add one cup of warm water for each loaf of bread that you want to make. ( e.g., 3 cups of warm water will make 3 loaves of bread). To this add about 10 cups of flour.
- 5Knead well, about 8 to 10 minutes. Then form into loaves and put into well greased loaf pans. Grease tops of loaves. Let rise again, until double, in a warm place. ( I place mine in the oven with the oven light on.) This will take from 2 to 6 hours.
- 6Bake at 300 deg. for 30 to 45 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- 7Let cool. Tastes excellent toasted. Freezes Well! Enjoy!
- 8NOTE: You can make up to 6 loaves with this Starter. I chose to make 3.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dj's "true" Salt Rising Bread
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.3
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.5 mg
- Sodium 9.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 5.5 g