Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was passed down to me from my Mother. Growing up in a Mennonite community we had this often. Very tasty if you like noodles, potatoes, and cabbage.
- 1 lb ground beef, browned
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 16 ounces wide egg noodles
- 6 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (14 ounce) can green beans
- 1 (14 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups water
- Fry ground beef until brown. Remove from skillet. Add onions, potatoes, and cabbage to skillet. Cook until tender.
- Cook noodles and drain well.
- In large cooking pot, add bay leaves, salt, pepper, chilies, green beans, ground beef, onions, potatoes, and cabbage and water. Bring to a full boil. Then turn down to a low simmer and let cook for 30 minutes. Then remove from heat.
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish, and spread noodles in bottom evenly. Then spoon all ingredients on top of noodles being careful to not add water from cooking pot.
- Sprinkle with cracker crumbs, then place in 350°F preheated oven for 30 minutes. Add cheese on top of dish for the last 5 minutes or until melted.
- Serve with sour cream.