Recipe by COOKGIRl
DJ makes this oft-requested soup for her book club. Easily adaptable for vegetarians by replacing the chicken broth with veggie broth and the cooked chicken with sauteed firm tofu. Good way to use up leftover chicken! To cut down on the fat content, use lower fat milk or soy milk. Source unknown.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 medium carrots, grated
- 3 stalks celery & leaves, diced
- 2 medium green apples, peeled and diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup rice, uncooked
- 3 cups roasted cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup half-and-half (low fat milk or soy milk can be subbed)
- cilantro leaf
- toasted shredded coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté celery, carrots and onion in butter until soft. Add apples and cook until tender.
- Add flour and curry powder. Stir until vegetables are coated. Add broth and simmer ½ hour. Add rice, cover pot and simmer another 1/2 hour or until rice is cooked.
- Add shredded chicken, salt and pepper to taste. Mix some hot broth with half and half then add to pot. DO NOT burn!