Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
A favorite recipe I found several years ago. I was offered a piece of this at a local function. After I got my portion, I noticed that it was going fast, so I asked for the recipe. If you like applesauce, peanut butter, and raisins, this might be for you.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄8 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups white flour
- 1⁄2 cup potato flakes
- 1⁄4 cup gluten
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In bowl, mix applesauce, olive oil, sugar, raisins, peanut butter and cinnamon.
- Cover, and set in refrigerator for one hour.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add butter, sugar, eggs, and salt. Beat well.
- Stir in flour and knead well. Then let rise until double.
- After initial rise, punch down and roll out dough. Roll to 10" wide and about 18" long. Try to keep in a rectangle.
- Then cut into equal width strips, as long as your dough. ( I use a pizza cutter).
- Spoon a narrow strip of the filling right down the middle of each strip.
- Fold dough over and join the edges. Try to get a good seal.
- Lay all 3 strips on a greased baking sheet.
- Form into a braid. Paint top of braid with olive oil.
- Bake at 375deg. for 30 minutes.