Recipe by Gail11
This salad is a great recipe for picnics and gatherings. I add more of each vegetable if I need to feed a larger crowd. Be creative! Add whatever vegetables that you like.
Top Review by heatherhopecs
A++! It's a little time-consuming to make, what w/ all the chopping required, so if you have a food processor, you might try using it to speed the process. I added some frozen peas, a large bunch of fresh dill (minced) and a bunch of flat leaf parsley (minced). I think the fresh herbs really added to the dish. I took this to a potluck recently and people loved it; it was a nice, fresh alternative to the standard potato salad on the potluck buffet table.
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 small red pepper, seeded,de-veined and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 small yellow pepper, seeded,de-veined and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 small green pepper, seeded,de-veined and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 yellow squash, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 cucumber, peeled,seeded and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and de-veined,minced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup of sliced black olives
- 1⁄2 cup of sliced green olives
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle Italian dressing or 1 (16 ounce) bottle vinaigrette dressing
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare an ice bath (a large bowl filled with ice water and ice cubes).
- Add green beans to boiling water.
- Blanch until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon remove from water and immediately plunge into the ice bath.
- When beans are thoroughly cooled, drain and pat dry.
- Repeat the process with the carrots.
- Add all ingredients except cheese and dressing to a large bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Add cheese.
- Begin by adding 1/4 cup of vinaigrette dressing and stir to combine.
- Chill, stirring occasionally, and add more dressing if needed.
- The vegetables will give off their juices also.
- Best if chilled overnight so that all of the flavors marry.