Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Comfort food at it's best. My grandmother used to make this when I was a little girl. The shortcake is actually cornbread and the filling is saucy chicken.She never added the peppers, but I added them for flavor and color. A side of greens goes great with this. Brings back a lot of memories, so I thought I's share.
- 1 prepared cornbread
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups leftover cooked chicken, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Add the peppers, mushrooms and onions. Saute until crisp tender.
- Remove veggies from the pan.
- Stir flour into the pan and cook until bubbly. Whisk in the stock and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, simmer and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken, veggies and black pepper. Heat through.
- Cut corn bread into squares, split them in half and fill with the chicken.
Perfect way to use up cornbread!