Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
A down-home delicious stew that my family loves.
Top Review by bearheadsoup
A really easy and delicious stew! I will be making this again. We have no collard greens in Australia, so I used mustard greens (gai choy) instead and I used fresh okra. I cooked the stew on the stove top for about an hour, rather than using a slow cooker. Thanks for a great recipe!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 (15 ounce) can white hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon cajun seasoning or 1 -2 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 cups chopped collard greens (wash the leaves well) or 4 cups fresh spinach (wash the leaves well)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the peas in a colander; drain well.
- Add the peas and 4 cups water to a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes; drain and rinse.
- Add the peas, ham, hominy, frozen okra, onion, garlic, Cajun seasoning, and pepper to a large slow-cooker.
- Add in 4 1/2 cups water.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
- Increase to HIGH setting and add collard greens and tomatoes; cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Check seasoning to taste and adjust as necessary.
- Ladle into soup bowls.