1/2 Photos of Dixie Fry Original Recipe Coating Mix (Copycat)
The Spice Guru's Note:
My reverse-engineered recipe for the classic 'Dixie Fry Original Recipe Natural Seasoned Coating Mix' yields 2 cups -- the equivalent of a 10 ounce, twin-pack box (although, I disagree about the "about 23 servings" listed under nutrition facts on the box -- I have listed 23 servings here for fair replication purposes). Half of this mixture may be stored in an airtight container for a second use. See steps 7 and 9 for approximate cooking times.
My Private Note
cups co ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fine salt
- 2 teaspoons buttermilk, solids
- 2 teaspoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons egg yolks, powder
- 1 tablespoon ground celery salt
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground sweet basil
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1NOTES: FOR BEST RESULTS DON'T OMIT OR SUBSTITUTE ANY INGREDIENT. SACO BRAND BUTTERMILK SOLIDS AND TRADEWINDS BRAND GROUND CELERY SALT ARE SOLD AT SMART & FINAL STORES. EGG YOLK POWDER CAN BE ORDERED ONLINE. IF OMITTING BUTTERMILK SOLIDS, NONFAT DRY MILK POWDER OR EGG YOLK POWDER -- (1) REPLACE OMITTED INGREDIENTS EQUALLY WITH CAKE FLOUR IN THE DRY BATTER INGREDIENTS, AND (2) REPLACE OMITTED INGREDIENTS IN "LIQUID FORM", AS AN EGG WASH BEFORE BREADING (1 1/2 CUPS BUTTERMILK OR NONFAT MILK, 1 BEATEN EGG). THERE WILL BE A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT COLOR RESULT FROM DIXIE FRY'S VERSION DUE TO THE ABSENCE OF BEET POWDER AND PAPRIKA OLEORESIN (COLORING AGENTS). SEE STEPS 7 AND 9 FOR DIXIE FRY'S APPROXIMATE COOKING TIMES.
- 2INTO the large bowl of a food processor, add all ingredients; PROCESS mixture for 10-15 seconds while tilting alternately for even blending. Mixture is now ready to use (retain 1/2 of mixture for a second use if desired (store in an airtight container). The following steps are the written directions from the Dixie Fry box.
- 3POUR (1 cup) Dixie Fry into medium plastic bag (or in a pan).
- 4MOISTEN chicken, pork, or seafood with water (or a whipped egg mixture).
- 5SHAKE 1 or 2 pieces at a time (or coat by rolling in pan).
- 6FRY METHOD (Spice Guru's note: I recommend using at least 1 cup cooking oil in a deep skillet, rather than the given amount): Pour 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in skillet. Cook over medium-low heat, uncovered, until golden and cooked through, turning occasionally.
- 7COOKING TIMES FOR FRYING METHOD: Chicken parts with skin and bone, 40 minutes; Boneless, skinless chicken breast, 20 minutes; Pork chops, 15 minutes; Fish fillet, 5-7 minutes.
- 8"NO OIL" BAKE METHOD (Spice Guru's note: I recommend using a light coat of vegetable oil on chicken before breading): Use baking pan. Spray no-fat cooking spray on pan. Bake, uncovered, until golden and cooked through, turning once.
- 9COOKING TIMES FOR BAKING METHOD: (at 400 F): Chicken parts with skin and bone, 45-50 minutes; Boneless, skinless chicken breast, 20 minutes; Pork chops, 40 minutes; Fish fillet, 5-7 minutes.
- 10SERVE and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dixie Fry Original Recipe Coating Mix (Copycat)
Serving Size: 1 (11 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 23
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 35.5
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 278.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: