Recipe by The Spice Guru
My reverse-engineered recipe for the classic 'Dixie Fry Original Recipe Natural Seasoned Coating Mix' yields 2 cups -- the equivalent of a 10 ounce, twin-pack box (although, I disagree about the "about 23 servings" listed under nutrition facts on the box -- I have listed 23 servings here for fair replication purposes). Half of this mixture may be stored in an airtight container for a second use. See steps 7 and 9 for approximate cooking times.
Top Review by I.Nabulsi
I may be the first to try this recipe,well, i tried it today and it was amazing,but as it was mentioned in the recipe notes I substituted buttermilk powder with liquid,and egg powder with flour,and everyone in my family loved it.
- 1 1⁄3 cups cake flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons buttermilk, solids
- 2 teaspoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons egg yolks, powder
- 3 tablespoons Season-All salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3⁄8 teaspoon ground oregano
- 3⁄8 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTES: FOR BEST RESULTS DON'T OMIT OR SUBSTITUTE ANY INGREDIENT. USE ONLY SEASON-ALL BRAND SEASONED SALT. SACO BRAND BUTTERMILK SOLIDS IS SOLD AT SMART & FINAL STORES. EGG YOLK POWDER CAN BE ORDERED ONLINE. IF OMITTING BUTTERMILK SOLIDS, NONFAT DRY MILK POWDER OR EGG YOLK POWDER -- (1) REPLACE OMITTED INGREDIENTS EQUALLY WITH CAKE FLOUR IN THE DRY BATTER INGREDIENTS, AND (2) REPLACE OMITTED INGREDIENTS IN "LIQUID FORM", AS AN EGG WASH BEFORE BREADING (1 1/2 CUPS BUTTERMILK OR NONFAT MILK, 1 BEATEN EGG). THERE WILL BE A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT COLOR RESULT FROM DIXIE FRY'S VERSION DUE TO THE ABSENCE OF BEET POWDER AND PAPRIKA OLEORESIN (COLORING AGENTS). REGARDING OREGANO AND MUSTARD POWDER MEASUREMENTS: 3/8 TEASPOON = 1/4 TEASPOON, PLUS ONE PINCH. SEE STEPS 7 AND 9 FOR DIXIE FRY'S APPROXIMATE COOKING TIMES.
- INTO the large bowl of a food processor, add all ingredients; PROCESS mixture for 10-15 seconds while tilting alternately for even blending. Mixture is now ready to use (retain 1/2 of mixture for a second use if desired (store in an airtight container). The following steps are the written directions from the Dixie Fry box.
- POUR (1 cup) Dixie Fry into medium plastic bag (or in a pan).
- MOISTEN chicken, pork, or seafood with water (or a whipped egg mixture).
- SHAKE 1 or 2 pieces at a time (or coat by rolling in pan).
- FRY METHOD (Spice Guru's note: I recommend using at least 1 cup cooking oil in a deep skillet, rather than the given amount): Pour 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in skillet. Cook over medium-low heat, uncovered, until golden and cooked through, turning occasionally.
- COOKING TIMES FOR FRYING METHOD: Chicken parts with skin and bone, 40 minutes; Boneless, skinless chicken breast, 20 minutes; Pork chops, 15 minutes; Fish fillet, 5-7 minutes.
- "NO OIL" BAKE METHOD (Spice Guru's note: I recommend using a light coat of vegetable oil on chicken before breading): Use baking pan. Spray no-fat cooking spray on pan. Bake, uncovered, until golden and cooked through, turning once.
- COOKING TIMES FOR BAKING METHOD: (at 400 F): Chicken parts with skin and bone, 45-50 minutes; Boneless, skinless chicken breast, 20 minutes; Pork chops, 40 minutes; Fish fillet, 5-7 minutes.
- SERVE and enjoy!