Prep 2 hrs 45 mins
Cook 50 mins
Old fashioned southern chicken dish.
- 1 (3 -3 1/2 lb) broiler-fryer chickens
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- fat, from fried chicken
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- Cut up chicken into frying pieces, Place pieces into a bowl and pour buttermilk over chicken, marinate for 2 hours in the fridge.
- In another bowl combine flour, parsley, salt, thyme and pepper.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk.
- Pour buttermilk from marinating chicken into a shallow baking pan.
- Roll chicken pieces into flour mixture.
- Heat shortening and butter in a heavy skillet.
- Brown chicken pieces on all sides , a few at a time, over medium high heat.
- Place chicken pieces on top of buttermilk in baking pan.
- *(Remove your 1/3 cup fat from skillet and set aside for biscuits.)*.
- Now add chicken broth to skillet with fat and scrap up Browning's.
- Strain and pour juice around chicken in baking pan.
- Bake chicken uncovered about 50 minutes or until crisp and tender and the juices from chicken run clear.
- *Bake Biscuits along with chicken for the last 20 minutes of cooking time. Serve with chicken.
- Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Stir in butter and fat from skillet, add buttermilk to make a stiff dough.
- Knead lightly, roll out on floured surface.
- Cut into small rounds, Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.