Recipe by AB_Fan
A delightful recipe from the Southern USA. No wonder fried catfish is considered a staple food "down south"; it's delicious! Serve with hushpuppies, coleslaw and pitchers of sweet tea. Finish with a traditional sweet potato pie, and you'll have yourself an authentic Dixie meal.
- vegetable oil (to cover 12-inch skillet 1/2 inch deep)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (1/2 lb) catfish, skinned
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a 12" skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Combine cormeal, salt, and peppers. Dredge catfish in flour then dip in egg mixture. Coat the fish with the cornmeal mixture.
- Fry 2 fish at a time until golden, about 6 minutes per side. Keep cooked catfish warm in a 275 degree oven.