Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
No Southern hostess would miss out on serving cheese straws with cocktails! This is an easy wasy to create a classic appetizer.
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a food processor fitter with the grating blade, grate cheese. Switch to cutting blade; add flour, butter, mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne. Pulse until dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surfac; divide into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 3/8" in diameter and 18" long; cut each rope into six 3" pieces. Place pieces 1" apart on a baking sheet. Drag the tines of a fork down each straw to create ridges.
- Bake until golden and firm to the touch, 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store straws in an airtight container up to 2 days.