Recipe by KittyKitty
This came from the little cookbook, that i got with my KitchenAid. it is the first thing I made with the KitchenAid, because these were the ingredients I had on hand.
Top Review by Secret Agent
I've made this exact recipe for over thirty years. It's very good. I am not much of an almond X lover but when I make this it vanishes in a couple of days. As with any recipe, if you don't like an ingredient go ahead and make a substitution. I have made it with almond and homemade vanilla extract and even mixed them. Same vanishing act occurs! DH brings it to work and he is the hero of the day. Thanks for posting KittyKitty! SA;)
- 3 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Place sugar,corn syrup, and water in a heavy saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat to hard ball stage (248F on candy therm.). Remove from heat and let stand until temp drops to 220F, do not stir.
- Place eggs whites in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and wire whip to mixer. Turn to speed 8 and whip until soft peaks form, about 1 minute. Gradually add syrup in a fine stream and whip about 2 1/2 minutes longer.
- Turn to speed 4. Add almond extract and whip until mixture starts to become dry, 20-25 minutes. Turn to Stir Speed and add walnuts, mix just until blended.
- Drop mixture from tablespoo onto waxed paper or greased baking sheet to form patties.Let harden.