Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
this is an old recipe..never fails...my favorite for divinity
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup white Karo
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups pecans
- in a heavy boiler put sugar, Karo, water and salt.
- cook to the hard ball stage, using a candy thermometer.about 258*.
- turn fire off and let sit while you beat the egg whites very stiff and dry.
- beat with mixer at medium speed while pouring the hot syrup in a very fine stream.
- continue beating and add the soft butter and vanilla.
- beat until the candy will hold its shape and then add the chopped cold pecans.
- spoon a little out on wax paper to see if it will hold its shape.if it does not, continue to beat by hand until it will drop by spoonsful onto wax paper.
I made this! It was a show stopper. First time and perfect!
thanks I've never been able to get divinity to come out right. this was easy