One of my favorite things to eat is fettuccine alfredo, but I don't always like all the fat associated with this dish. I found this recipe and it is really very good. Be sure to use imported Italian Parmigiano-Reggiano, which has an intense, buttery flavor that makes all the difference. If you are following Weight Watchers, this recipe has 6 points per 1 cup serving.
- Cook the fettuccine according to package directions, omitting salt if desired.
- Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
- Place the pasta in a serving bowl and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium nonstick skillet.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes straw-colored and fragrant, about 45 seconds, then remove from the heat and whisk in the milk.
- Return the pan to the stove, raise the heat to medium-high, and continue cooking, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the reserved cooking water, the cheese, the lemon juice and nutmeg; stir until just smooth.
- Pour over the hot pasta, toss gently to coat, and serve at once.
This is indeed divine and does not taste like it is low in fat. I did add garlic and shrimp, and I cut the lemon to 1/2 Tablespoon. It was excellent and I will make it again. Thx Lainey.
This was just OK in my opinion, I made it exactly as stated and had high hopes since all the reviews were so positive, but this was just lacking in the flavor department. I eat a very healthy diet and substitute fattening ingredients for low fat and non fat all the time with no problem at all, but this tasted very low fat to me. My fiance said he tasted nothing but lemon in this, and it absolutely needs garlic. I may try and make it again, cutting down on the lemon and adding some garlic into the mix but overall, I think we'd rather eat a small amount of the real stuff instead of a full plate of this.
This is very good. But a bit too lemony for my taste. I did this recipe for our lunches so the next day we had to add milk to make it more creamy. I liked it. I omitted the nutmeg. Thanks Lainey. Made for ZWT4