Inspired by Kamikaze Pancakes from Egg & I in Minneapolis, and guided by the griddle cakes recipe in Fanny Farmer, I have crafted nutritious pancakes which are all things to all people. Or at least to me and my husband. Made with a banana to replace the oil and sugar, the hearty, stick-to-your-ribs buckwheat pancake can be customized easily for each diner. Pancakes are more art than science. Expect to sacrifice the first victim of the griddle to the Pancake Gods as you adjust temperature. The amount of buttermilk or milk is approximate, and will have to be adjusted based on the size of the banana and your personal preference. Also, the batter will thicken as it stands, and may have to be thinned if your pancakes are coming out too thick.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- 2In a separate bowl, mash the banana.
- 3To the banana, add the egg and 1/2 of the buttermilk or all of the yogurt, and mix.
- 4Combine the dry ingredients with the banana mixture, and slowly add part or all of the remaining buttermilk or milk until the batter reaches the desired thinness. (Reserve some milk to adjust the thickness of the batter as time goes on).
- 5Heat a non-stick griddle or large skillet over medium high heat until a drop of water will dance on the surface.
- 6Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle.
- 7Sprinkle blueberries and/or walnuts onto the pancake as desired.
- 8When the edge of the pancake is no longer shiny, flip the pancake. The cooked side should be golden brown. If it's dark brown, turn down the heat.
- 9Continue cooking until the other side is also golden brown. Be sure there is no raw batter around the blueberries.
- 10If the pancake is too thick for your tastes, thin the remaining batter with a bit of milk or buttermilk.
- 11Serve the pancakes warm with butter and pure maple syrup.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Divine Wind Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.5
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 709.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 11.5 g