Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I had some scalloped potatoes at a friends and decided to make my own. With some experimenting I came up with a recipe that I LOVE. Keeps the husband quiet and satisfied too. This recipe is a fantastic gentle blend of flavours. The chilli is calmed by the cream and the sweet potato, onion and garlic flavours just melt together.
- Slice the regular and sweet potatoes into 1/2 cm thick slices. (I don't normally peel the skins).
- Finely slice the garlic cloves.
- Finely slice the spring onion.
- Lightly grease the bottom of a 2 litre saucepan (Just to stop the potatoes sticking).
- Place a layer of regular potato just to cover the bottom (you can leave gaps)
- Start a new layer of sweet potato, again just to cover the layer of regular potatoes.
- Scatter a few slices of fresh garlic.
- Scatter a few slices of spring onion.
- Sprinkle approx 1/2 tspn dried chilli flakes over the surface.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- REPEAT this layering process until all ingredients are used ( I normally get around 3 layers).
- Once all layers have been completed pour the tub of cream over the top.
- Grab hold of the pot and gently shake side to side until you see the cream sink down between the layers.
- Place on medium heat until it begins to boil then simmer gently for approx 30 - 45 mins until the potatoes are soft.
- Occasionally there is some excess liquid from the cream and I usually increase the heat to boiling again to reduce until it thickens.
Awesome recipe! We love sweet potatoes and I am always looking for different ways to serve. The flavors meld perfectly. Unfortunately, they did stick to the pan, even though I greased the bottom as suggested. I think I will try in the oven next time. Thnx for posting, Aussie_chick.