Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk (or measure 2 tablespoons water into 6 measuring tablespoons plain yogurt)
- 3⁄4 cup light butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 7 1⁄2 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 7 1⁄2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (whipping)
- 3 tablespoons light butter, softened
- 1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 regular size muffin cups with paper liners.
- 2. Whisk flour, cocoa, salt and soda in large bowl. Combine buttermilk and water in small bowl. Beat butter in another large bowl with mixer on medium high speed until fluffy.
- Add sugar and beat 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at at time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add flour and buttermilk in 3 batches, beating just until blended. Spoon into cups, 2/3 full. Bake 20 - 22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes and then remove to a rack and cool completely.
- Frosting: Heat chocolate and cream in medium saucepan over low heat, stirring until chocolate melts and mix is smooth.
- Add butter and whisk until blended and melted. Cool to room temperature in a medium mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate 15 minutes. Beat with mixer on med high speed about 3 minutes or until thick enough to spread. Frost cupcakes. Refrigerate 30 minutes until frosting is set.