Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
From an Edisto Island, South Carolina cookbook.
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄3 cup salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 lb cooked crabmeat, finely flaked
- 1⁄3 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, soft bread crumbs, mayonnaise, dry mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, and if desired, hot pepper sauce.
- Add crabmeat; mix well.
- Shape the mixture into eight 1/2-inch thick patties. Dip patties into the fine dry bread crumbs, turning to coat both sides.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add four of the crab cakes; cook about 6 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Keep warm in a 300 degree oven while cooking the remaining crab cakes. Add additional oil to skillet, if necessary.