Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
My own creation, born of the love of all things cinnamon and banana...Easy and soooo satisfying! Lovely, sweet bits of banana in a tender cream cheese and cinnamon coffee cake with a bit of streusel. It is definitely not for those without a sweet-tooth! **You can easily double this recipe and put it in a 9x13 inch pan, increasing baking time to 50-60 minutes. If you do double, add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until well combined. You can also use a blueberry-banana combo (1 cup blueberries, 1 banana for a double recipe), though you might want to increase the sugar in the batter by 1/4 cup.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (depending on how much you like it-I love it, so I use the full amount)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, pure
- 1 medium banana, diced (should be pretty ripe)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 8x8 inch baking pan; set aside.
- In small bowl stir together 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat cream cheese and melted butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes or until creamy. Add 3/4 cup sugar; beat until combined. Add egg, beating well. Add flour mixture; beat until just combined. Stir in vanilla. Gradually fold in diced bananas.
- Batter will be very thick. Pour into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- In small bowl stir together 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and flour. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs using pastry blender, two knives or your fingers (this is what I do). Stir in walnuts and sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
This is a great coffee cake. There is a small typo, however. In the ingredient list it says 3/4 cup sugar but in the directions it says 1 cup sugar. I used the 3/4 cup measure and it was sweet enough for me. The banana flavor comes through nicely. It does make a very thick batter but works good with the topping. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT7-Pacific Islands