Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Source: Ladies Home Journal March 1998 - Disney's Wilderness Lodge, Orlando, FL
- 1 (8 ounce) French bread
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- Cut 1 (8 ounce) loaf French bread diagonally into eight 1 1/2-inch thick slices. Cut a 2-inch-long slit 1 inch deep in top of each slice to form a pocket. Divide 1 cup fresh blueberries into 8 portions; fill pockets with berries.
- Whisk together 2 cups milk, 3 large eggs, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract in large bowl. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in cup. Set both aside.
- Soak bread slices in egg mixture 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter or margarine in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook 4 bread slices until golden, turning once, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to platter; cover and keep warm. Wipe skillet. Repeat process with another 1 tablespoon butter and remaining bread. Transfer French roast to 4 serving plates; sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar. Serve with maple syrup, if desired.
This is terrific!! I had just a little trouble...'stuffing' them. I soon discovered if you make the slit before cutting off the loaf it stuffed much easier. Next time I'll try using day old bread! I skipped the cinnamon but sprinkled with a little powdered sugar (personal preference of DH) Thank you Kerry!!