I found this recipe in the "Disney Magazine." It comes from the Pacific Wharf Cafe at Disneyland and is one of their most-requested recipes. I pre-cut all the vegetables and store, covered, in the fridge until I'm ready to make the soup.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 2 1⁄4 cups clam juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup clam, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1⁄2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- sourdough bread, slices (optional)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and then add the flour to make a roux. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring often, then set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and saute the potatoes, onion, peppers and celery over medium heat until the potatoes are just barely tender, about 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Add the heavy cream, clams, thyme, salt, pepper, tabasco sauce, and roux. Whisk well to blend in the roux.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more seasoning to taste.
- If you like, serve slices of sourdough alongside.