Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1⁄2 lb dried great northern beans
- 10 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3⁄4 cup celery, minced
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1 cup carrot, minced
- 1 cup smoked ham, minced
- 3⁄4 cup tomatoes, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- white pepper
- ground thyme
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch, dissolved in
- 2⁄3 cup water
- Soak beans over night.
- Drain and rinse.
- In soup pot add beans water and bouillon bring to boil reduce heat and simmer.
- Cook 1 hour until tender but firm on the inside.
- Add celery,onion,carrots, cook 30 minutes until tender.
- Add ham,tomato and spices cook 10 minutes.
- Add cornstarch and water mix.
- simmer 5-10 minutes until thickened.
- Cool 10-15 minutes.
- mix well and serve.
This was good, but not great. I made it just like the recipe said, but ended up having to put a bunch of spices in it to make it less blah. I had to add more salt, adobo, garlic and onion powder and a small amount of cajun seasoning. I did like the tomatoes, they added the most taste to it out of all the ingredients. Will use the basic recipe again, but with the added spices to make it more flavorful.