Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Served during the 2010 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- 2 tablespoons cilantro or 2 tablespoons culantro
- 1 cup Spanish olives
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
Asopao de Pollo Ingredients
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 cup sofrito sauce
- 1⁄2 cup Spanish olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked white rice
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro or 1⁄4 cup culantro, chopped
- coarse salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Sofrito - Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until very finely chopped. Set aside.
- Asopao de Pollo - Heat oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and sofrito; saute until chicken is seared on the outside.
- Add olives, roasted peppers, tomato paste and bay leaves, and saute, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add white wine, stirring to combine. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add rice and chicken stock.
- Simmer soup until chicken and rice are cooked. Remove chicken thighs, and transfer to a cutting board. Chop or shred chicken into small pieces, and return to the pot.
- Stir in cilantro, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaves before serving.