Disneyland's Blue Bayou Monte Cristo Sandwich II (Vegetarian)
- NOTE: I used Morningstar Farms "chik patties", but Tofurkey deli mock turkey slices would work, too as would mock ham deli slices for the bacon.
- CURRANT JELLY SAUCE: Combine jelly, water and half and half in blender and mix until smooth. Makes about 3/4 cup.
- FRUIT COMPOTE: Combine your favorite fresh and canned fruits and chill well. Yield is about 1/2 cup per person.
- BATTER: Place water, egg, salt, and pepper in a bowl and using an electric mixer, mix well at low speed. Add flour and baking powder and mix until batter is smooth. Chill.
- SANDWICHES: Make 4 sandwiches, putting cheese between veggie bacon and mock chicken cutlet. Cut into fourths and put a toothpick through each quarter.
- Heat about 6 inches of oil to 340 degrees in a fryer. Dip sandwiches in batter to cover all surfaces. Deep fry sandwiches until golden brown, turning as needed. An alternate way of frying it to put approximately 1/4-inch oil in a large pan and fry the sandwiches on both sides until crispy and brown.
- Remove from oil and take out toothpicks. Drain on paper towel to remove excess oil. Sprinkle sandwiches with confectioners' sugar. Serve with fruit compote and currant jelly sauce.