Recipe by Pinay0618
This cake is served at the Brown Derby at MGM Studios Orlando. It's wonderfully light and tart-sweet.
Top Review by mollymustang
Loved the flavor!! It's very refreshing! Not sure if it was just my attempt, but the cake seemed a little dry...I'm thinking I might add some more "moisture" to the batter next time or could easily substitute a store-bought white cake mix (for times when I want something quick and easy). Also, the frosting on my cake covered only the middle layer and the top of the cake (which made for a pretty presentation); Next time, I'm going to try to double the frosting recipe and frost the whole cake.
- 354.88 ml sifted cake flour
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 59.14 ml water
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, separated
- 44.37 ml grapefruit juice
- 2.46 ml fresh lemon rind
- 1.23 ml cream of tartar
- 340.19 g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 9.85 ml lemon juice
- 4.92 ml grated fresh lemon rind
- 177.44 ml sifted powdered sugar
- 0.39-0.52 ml yellow food coloring
- 453.59 g can grapefruit sections, well drained, reserving 2 tablespoons juice from grapefruit sections
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients.
- Add water, vegetable oil, eggs, grapefruit juice and lemon rind.
- Beat until smooth.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff but not dry.
- Gently fold egg whites into cake batter.
- Pour into an ungreased 10 inch cake pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- When cool, slice cake in half horizontally.
- Beat cheese until fluffy.
- Add lemon juice and rind.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until blended; add food coloring. Add reserved 2 tablespoons of grapefruit juice and blend.
- Divide frosting in half and add roughly chopped grapefruit sections to one half.
- Spread this mixture on bottom half of cake.
- Top with several grapefruit sections.
- Cover with other cake layer and frost remainder of cake.
- Garnish with remaining grapefruit sections.