This cake is served at the Brown Derby at MGM Studios Orlando. It's wonderfully light and tart-sweet.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 3⁄4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 6 -8 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 (16 ounce) can grapefruit sections, well drained, reserving 2 tablespoons juice from grapefruit sections
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients.
- Add water, vegetable oil, eggs, grapefruit juice and lemon rind.
- Beat until smooth.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff but not dry.
- Gently fold egg whites into cake batter.
- Pour into an ungreased 10 inch cake pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- When cool, slice cake in half horizontally.
- Beat cheese until fluffy.
- Add lemon juice and rind.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until blended; add food coloring. Add reserved 2 tablespoons of grapefruit juice and blend.
- Divide frosting in half and add roughly chopped grapefruit sections to one half.
- Spread this mixture on bottom half of cake.
- Top with several grapefruit sections.
- Cover with other cake layer and frost remainder of cake.
- Garnish with remaining grapefruit sections.