Punky Julster's Note:
from Captain Eric "Disco" Dominijanni, 2D Assault Amphibian Battalion, MCB Camp Lejeune. Also seen on Throwdown with Bobby Flay. You can use a different pepper and remove the seeds if you want less heat. Prep time does not include 4-6 hours for marinading.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) can cola
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup garlic teriyaki sauce
- 1 habanero pepper, finely chopped with seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 (8 ounce) New York strip steaks, about 8 ounces each and 3/4 inch thick
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1In a medium bowl mix the marinade ingredients. Place the steaks in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press out the air, seal the bag, and turn several times to coat the meat. Place the bag in a bowl and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
- 2Let the steaks stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Remove the steaks from the bag and reserve the marinade. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and boil for about 10 seconds. Set aside about half of the marinade for basting the steaks. For the remaining marinade in the saucepan, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until it has reduced to the consistency of a dipping sauce, 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- 3Pat the steaks dry with paper towels. Lightly coat the steaks with oil.
- 4With the lid closed, grill the steaks over direct high heat (500ºF to 550ºF) until cooked to desired doneness, 5 to 7 minutes for medium-rare, turning once and basting with a little of the boiled marinade. (If flare-ups occur, move the steaks temporarily over indirect high heat.) Remove from the grill and let rest for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm with the dipping sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Disco's Hot and Tangy New York Strip Steaks
Serving Size: 1 (403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 640.8
- Calories from Fat 347
- Total Fat 38.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 183.7 mg
- Sodium 3568.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 53.0 g