Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Crisp carrots and apples are coated with a dressing of citrus and ginger. A sprinkle of toasted nuts and coconut add crunch and color. This wonderfully refreshing salad is from Meals.com.
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon grated coconut
- 2 cups grated peeled carrots
- 1 apple, cored,peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup currants (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- On a baking sheet, toast walnuts for about 10 minutes and the coconut for 5 minutes.
- Let cool.
- In a large bowl combine carrot, apple, lemon zest, lemon juice, orange juice, currants, salt and ginger.
- Top with walnuts and coconut to serve.
- You may serve this immediately, or chilled.
I made this as a part of our lunch this afternoon and we enjoyed it chilled. I loved it! I omitted the raisins. I had some of it all by itself and then added some cooked white rice and a little yogurt, mixed it all, and had it as the main course too! My mom prefers not to have walnuts in it, and my dad, suggested to reduce the quantity of orange juice to 1/4 cup. The funny expression on his face when he had the first spoon made me feel like I had served it to a nasty little boy. LOL. Dad is very honest with his reviews to all that I try:) Personally, I love it as it is.