Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Every time I make this super-moist yummy cake it disappears in record time! The phrase that I usually hear when someone tries some for the first time is, "Oh my goodness, what is this stuff?!!" ...as they reach for another piece!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 5 cups apples
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 13x9 inch pan.
- Peel and slice the apples. Slices can be 1/8 of an inch or so.
- Stir lemon juice into apples and let sit while you prepare the rest of the cake.
- Combine eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to batter.
- Stir in apples.
- Spread into 13x9 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until center of cake is set.
This is good, but very unsightful. Once you get past the appearance, then the taste is great. However, I would not serve at a party or such. However, this is great for close friends and family.
I made this with whole wheat pastry flour - 2 T less flour per cup flour called for in recipe. I used sucanat for the sugar. Very light texture, not too sweet. I think it would go well with a hot orange or lemon sauce. Wonderful food.
I just loved this concept of lots of apples held together by some cake! I didn't rate with stars, as I made significant "healthy" changes. My changes were to use all white whole wheat flour, sub the 1/2 cup oil with 1/2 cup of applesauce, and use only 1 1/2 cup sugar. I am sure the texture wasn't as light as the original, but no matter - still it was delicious, and everyone ate it up. I will make this cake again and again - and I might even try 7 cups of apples next time, maybe with a sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar on the top. I used empire apples, and did add the nuts, and that was a great combo. Thanks for this great recipe to inspire me!